About Dr. Van Hook
Dr. Frederick Van Hook graduated from University of Arizona School of Medicine in 1997. He then trained in family medicine at Fort Collins Family Medicine Residency in Fort Collins, Colorado. After his residency, Dr. Van Hook completed a fellowship in geriatric medicine at the University of Arizona in Tucson, Arizona. Upon finishing his fellowship, he started a practice focused on primary care geriatric medicine in Tucson, Arizona. He has been passionate about delivering excellent care to his patients for 14 years.
Dr. Van Hook finished his training at the University of Arizona Integrative Medicine fellowship program under the direction of Dr. Andrew Weil, MD February, 2016. With his recent training in Integrative Medicine, he is expanding his ability to care for patients of all ages with a special and unique focus in Integrative Geriatric Medicine. His focus will be to combine traditional medical care along with integrative medicine approaches including individual diet counseling, exercise, supplements and herbal medicine and other integrative practices. This unique style of medicine is designed to provide patients with personalized comprehensive care focusing on wellness, prevention and treatment that is effective and safe.
Dr. Van Hook was voted one of Tucson’s Top Docs in Tucson Lifestyle Magazine July, 2016.
6/1993 to 5/1997: Doctor of Medicine, University of Arizona College of Medicine, Tucson, AZ 85724.
8/1987 to 12/1991: Bachelor of Science, Molecular and Cellular Biology, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85724.
- Diplomat of the American Board of Family Medicine. Date of Certification: 7/4/00.
- Certificate of Added Qualification in Geriatrics. Date of Certification: 1/10/02.
- Fellowship trained in Integrative Medicine 2014-2016. Board eligible.
- Board of Medical Examiners, State of Arizona.Date Issued: 9/99.
- Van Hook FW, Demonbreun D, Weiss BD. Ambulatory Devices for Chronic Gait Disorders in the Elderly. American Family Physician. 67(8): April 15, 2003.
- Van Hook FW, Mahurin DM, Kukafka DS. What caused weakness, malaise and dyspnea in this man? The Journal of Respiratory Diseases. 22(6): 2001 June.
- Daller JA, Buckley AR, Van Hook FW, Buckley DJ, Putnam CW. Suramin, a protein kinase C inhibitor, impairs hepatic regeneration. Cell Growth & Differentiation. 5(7):761-7, 1994 July.
- Copertino DW, Hall ET, Van Hook FW, Jenkins KP, Hallick RB. A group III twintron encoding a maturase-like gene excises through lariat intermediates. Nucleic Acids Research. 22(6):1029-36, 1994 Mar 25.
8/1991 to 6/1997: big brother with Big Brothers/Big Sisters of Tucson.
Plant identification, Hiking, Cycling, Swimming, History of the West and Cowboy Poetry.